(And why am I sprouting dark hairs on my face?)
This post comes to us from our very own Licensed Esthetician, Jaclyn!
As an esthetician the most common issue that I see with my clients is aging concerns. Women are blindsided by the fast and hard changes that hit them like a semi-truck full of wrinkles and dark spots and dryness down there ... the list is long! A lot of women are unaware that as they enter menopause their estrogen plummets and their testosterone flourishes. The cellular turnover decreases dramatically and their collagen and elastin production slows down to a glacial pace. Vascular and capillary walls begin to thin and the efficacy of the lymphatic system is compromised.
This combination of changes is the skin’s worst nightmare. BUT…with advances in cosmetic chemistry, scientific research, and superior product formulation we can give the effect of menopause a run for its money. Here are the top 5 things we can do to combat aging:
1. EXFOLIATE! Exfoliation helps slough off dead skin cells and bring new healthy cells to the surface. The stimulation also accelerates cell turnover and helps produce more collagen and elastin. Medicine Mama’s recommended method of exfoliation is body brushing, and you can read a recent post about it here.
2. Estrogen Supplementation. This can help lessen the effects of aging internally. Estrogen is a superb anti-inflammatory, a natural antioxidant, and helps in tissue repair. This will also help unwanted hair growth on the face. Visit your favorite vitamin store and ask for direction on finding the right supplement for you.
3. Lymphatic Drainage Massage. Manual pressure on the lymphatic system detoxifies and removes waste materials from the body more quickly and reduces swelling. There is a great article about Lymphatic Drainage Massage here.
4. Topical antioxidants. Antioxidants target free radicals in the skin that cause damage and make the skin more susceptible to aging and environmental pollutants. Use high quality antioxidants on your skin once daily. And for skincare down there, try Vmagic® Intimate Skin Cream, which contains Propolis – Melexylem® proprietary compound that is an enzyme rich, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant.
5. Diet and exercise. Almost every skin condition will benefit from proper diet and exercise. When it comes to aging, focus on a diet with lots of essential fatty acids like fish, coconut oil, and flax seeds. Lots of leafy greens will help eliminate waste and get as many internal antioxidants as possible like blueberries, goji berries, cacao, and cranberries.
Stay happy and healthy, and remember that regardless of the changes your body encounters during this time, you are a beautiful and incredible woman!